Relationships are beautiful, and while being in one is always euphoric, they also come with a few set notions that don't sit well with most of us. And one of the most common relationship misconceptions is that long-distance relationships even post marriage don't work. Well, it depends on person to person, but trust us, long-distance is as simple as other relationships. Being in a long-distance relationship helps you appreciate your significant other a bit more especially after marriage. And if you wonder how that's possible, then here are six benefits of long-distance relationships about which no one ever talks about. The reason: We are conditioned in a way where we think that long-distance is difficult and it never works. However, we are here to debunk those myths.
We are sure the ones in a long-distance relationship know the importance of it. People who haven’t been in such a relationship, it’s time to take some notes since we are going to tell you some crazy benefits that you probably didn't know of.
Long-Distance Relationship Benefits No One Talks About
- No Space Issues: One of the major benefits of long-distance relationships is that while being together, you also get to enjoy your space. And this is a bliss post marriage, considering that almost everything around you changes. Usually, couples end up fighting or even breaking up because of this issue - however, in long-distance you don't have to worry about it. You can have all the space you need while giving the same to your partner. You start to value personal spaces and learn to respect each other's me-time and this also holds true after wedding. And giving space to each other is necessary for every relationship since it strengthens the relationship and makes you value the time spent together.
- You Learn To Value Time: When we talk about valuing time, it's not always about being punctual. Valuing time also means respecting the amount of time you spend with your partner. While living in the same city, locality, and in some cases, the same house, we tend to start devaluing the time spent together. However, in long-distance relationships, every second is precious. You learn to value time since that helps you make memories. You avoid fights and unnecessary arguments since you'd use that time making memories. In long-distance relationships, you don't know when you will get a chance to meet your partner next; hence you want to cherish every minute you spend with them online. And we are sure newlyweds who live in different cities post marriage relate to this majorly.
- You Communicate Better: Be it a long-distance or in-person relationship, communication is always the key to a successful relationship. No relationship can survive without two-way communication. And one of the benefits of a long-distance relationship is that you learn how to communicate well, especially after a wedding. In the beginning, you will undergo a lot of hurdles, but once you learn how to express your feelings and thoughts, there's nothing like it. The beauty of long-distance relationships lies in the fact that communication not only clears all the confusion but also deepens the bond post marriage. It helps you understand your partner in a better way.
- Long-Distance Relationships Teach You Skills: Trust, patience, and love are necessary for every relationship, and marriage is included here too. But with our mundane busy lives, we tend to take these things for granted. Yet, when it comes to being in a long-distance relationship with your BAE, these are the life skills we need. And with time, these valuable things are acquired by us, keeping the various situations in mind. We know that our partner will not always be available to answer the calls or reply to our text. Hence, we learn how to be patient in such situations. We cannot be with our partners 24*7 - That teaches us how to trust each other through thick and thin, especially after marriage.
- You Get To Do Things On Your Own: Doing things with your partner is fun since you get to bond and learn so much about each other. However, constantly being with each other after wedding and thinking about each other's likes and dislikes - sometimes make us sacrifice our likes. And this is what we love about long-distance relationships - it gives you enough time to pursue your hobbies and wants. You can focus on your hobbies and likes while giving equal time to your relationships. It is one of the major benefits of a long-distance relationship since you don't have to choose between things and can give equal attention to everything. You don't have to choose between your likes and what you like to do as a couple, now ain't that cool?
- You Are Independent and Strong: When you spend too much time together, you become codependent on each other, which is never a good thing. The importance of being independent is understood the best by those in a long-distance relationship. Couples understand how necessary it is to be ‘YOU’ in a relationship. They know that their partner will not be around always hence being independent and self-reliant is something that couples in long-distance thrive. It also allows people to explore themselves, understand their wants & needs while building a perfect life with their partners. They have their identity and ensure that their partner knows that. It also makes them feel empowered, which is definitely a plus point.
Like other relationships, long-distance relationships have their set of flaws too, but you cannot ignore the benefits they have to offer. On that note, have you ever been in a long-distance relationship? If yes, then we would love to know more about it in the comments below.
PS: if you have any tips for the couples trying the long-distance, feel free to mention that as well. Your inputs can help someone.